Driving large amounts of free targeted traffic to your website is pretty hard nowadays without spending money.
Not many people know about Facebook Groups, or if they do they don’tknow the untapped potential they have to generate free targeted trafficto your site.
Every generic ‘drive traffic to your site using these X methods’article will at some point list forums. They will generally offer somerecycled advice about leaving a URL in your signature to drive trafficor answer questions to add value.
No doubt you have tried this and got less than satisfactory results.
In this article I will show you two ways to generate hundreds if notthousands of targeted views daily using Facebook Groups and onlineforums that aren’t even in your niche.
On the top of Facebook you have a search bar where it gives you theoption to search for people, pages, places, events, apps and groups.
Let’s assume I run a niche site that affiliates various productsaimed at backpackers who visit Australia. Using the Facebook search type I type in “Backpacker Australia” and select the result type ‘Groups’.
Just on the first page I have found two highly targeted groups thatcontain 22,522 members and another one with over 11,376 members. Theseare basically fish in a barrel waiting to be shot at.
That’s a lot of people.
I first join all the groups with my Facebook account. A lot of groups will be shown as ‘private’, all this means is the admin must approveyou before you can join. Depending on the activity of the group it willtake less than 24 hours.
My next step is to drop URL links to my site by answering peoples’questions. People use these groups to ask questions about which blogs to read, hotels to stay in or things to buy for their trip.
For the example above I would provide a legitimate response on thebest hostels in Bryon Bay. With it I would link back to my site whichreviews the best hotels and hostels in Australia for backpackers.
I can’t answer every question with a link back to my site becausepeople will quickly find out what I am doing and ban me from the groupforever. This is not what I want because a group with 22,522 members is a goldmine, and I want me some gold.
I usually use the 80/20 rule with Facebook Groups.
This means 80% of my interaction in the group is in-depth practicaladvice that makes me come across as an authority on the subject andsomeone who can be trusted. The other 20% of comments I do the same butplace links back to my site.
Whether you sell supplements, clothing or gadgets, there is aFacebook Group for almost every niche that you can join to drive freetargeted traffic.
How to make use of forums not in your niche
Every major forum has an off-topic section where users can discussother topics outside their niche. Take TwoPlusTwo which is the biggestpoker forum in the world.
Outside all their poker related categories they have sections onhealth, travel, computer help, sporting events and even wrestling. Thetravel section alone has 4,980 threads and over 168,836 posts.
While sites like TripAdvisor don’t allow you to promote your travelsite on their forum, most other forums simply won’t care (assuming youdon’t spam).
One of my websites is a popular travel site about travelling inThailand and guess what? There’s a dedicated thread talking aboutThailand on TwoPlusTwo which has 52,157 posts and over 3.4 millionviews!
I need to get me a piece of that pie.
I decided to make a comprehensive post about everything people needto know who are coming to Thailand for the first time. Where to stay,breakdown on cities, the best bars and clubs in the area and how to getaround the country.
But that’s not all, when I did create my post I linked several websites including my own.
Forum members can be hard people to impress and if you straight upspam without providing value they will call you out for spamming and you will get banned. But by providing a super detailed post that addressesthe needs of many readers, after only a few posts I had establishedmyself as a person of knowledge and trust.
Not only did this get me targeted traffic but all newbies visitingThailand are redirected to my thread post when asking several questionsto use as a ‘start here’ guide.
There are hundreds of forums that have millions of active memberswith very active off-topic sections in your niche. They all containthousands of prospects waiting for you to solve their problem
The key to using Facebook Groups and forums successfully is howyou’re perceived by others. If your posts come across as a snake oilsalesman then you will end up getting banned, some sites will evenpermanently block your website URL which is not good for business.
I only stick to a couple of larger forums because I don’t have thetime to post on everyone. If you took advantage of several forums thathave a huge user base – who needs SEO?
Let me know how you got on with these methods by leaving a comment below.