If this is your first blog post, your readers might be wondering who you are. Use your first post to tell your story, what inspired you to start a WordPress blog, and what you plan to achieve with your writing.
It’s one thing to start a blog, work out a timetable for making posts and create a calendar to ensure those posts go out the door. These are administrative tasks and fairly easy to tackle once you have a plan and the right tools for the job. It’s another thing entirely to constantly come up with blog ideas for new posts and then write those posts — especially if writing is not something you particularly enjoy.
The more you blog, the harder it can be to come up with fresh ideas towrite about. Two of the most important parts of a blog are compelling content and frequent updates. Take a look at the following blog post ideas to spark your creative juices when you can’t think of what to writeabout. Just remember to try to apply each of these ideas appropriatelyto your blog topic.
20 Blog Post Ideas To Start Writing Today
Everyone likes to hear about positive news in their local community. Pick yourfavorite charity and spotlight what they do that makes you smile.
Here is a short run down of over 20 blog post ideas. Whenever youhave a topic in mind but are not sure how to approach the topic, lookthrough this list of ideas to get you going.
- Epic Blog Post – I always encourage bloggers,especially when first starting out, to really let the value flow.Especially if you are coming from a place of passion about your subject, then you need to create what we call “epic content.” This type of posthas also been called “pillar” articles because it is the big, importantarticles that describes the focus of your whole site. Epic blog postadd tremendous value, usually are twice as long as the average blogpost, and can’t help but be shared with others.
- Video Post – This can be as simple as takingscreenshots of you doing something on the computer. The idea is that you are showing how to do something. Videos can be an awesome teachingtool. I love to use an online whiteboard and draw or type out my pointsin a video.
- How to Post – This is a simple blog post but verypowerful. People search online all the time about how to do things. Show them how to do something step by step.
- Definition Post – This is a blog post defining allthe terms in your niche. For example, if you are a financial blogger,then create a blog post that goes through and explains all of thevarious financial and investment terms that are out there. It can be agreat resource for your followers.
- Tips/List Post – I love writing list post. Peoplelike to peruse through a blog post. Anytime you can consolidateinformation for people into one location it can be a really good thing.Tips are helpful as well. You can list 3, 4, or 5 insider or expert tips about a subject.
- Survey Post – You can use this blog post idea toeither discus a survey in your niche, give the results of a survey youhave done with your followers or encourage readers to participate in asurvey.
- Interviews – Interview other people in your nichewhenever you get the chance. If the person you are interviewing is afellow blogger, they will more then likely introduce the blog post totheir readers, which will drive some traffic to your blog.
- Answer Reader Questions – Become a solutionprovider in your niche. It is the fastest way to create value and buildtrust & authority in your niche. Out of all of the blog post ideas,this is probably our favorite. We have an contact page on our blog andit is where we get most of our blog post ideas. If you have a question,feel free to contact us.
- Contests – Hold a contest and offer a small prize.This really helps to improve engagement with your readers. You alwayswant to be figuring out more ways to interact with your audience.
- Launch Product Series – I love using this idea. Ifyou have created a product that you want to market on your blog,consider writing a a short series of posts leading up to the launch day. It can create excitement and build momentum to the launch day. Thisworks much more effective then just adding a new advertising button onyour blog.
- Recommendations – Share your favorite or preferredthings without writing a full review. You can list out a number ofproducts and briefly describe your experience with each.
- Polls – Ask your readers to vote on a poll youcreated. This is another reader engagement type of a post. When recently did this when we were narrowing down our new logo for blogging yourpassion.
- Guests Posts – Once you have created enough content in the beginning of the life of your blog and established a following,begin to allow other bloggers to write guest posts for your blog.
- Podcasts – Create audio content for people that can add value to their lives. Podcasting can be another great way to getyour message out and allow others to better connect with you. There aremany tools available today to get your podcast up and running quickly.
- Review Article – Take a specific product or service and give an honest, open evaluation. Many use affiliate products forthese posts. Just be sure that what you promote is actually somethingthat you would pay for and use yourself. Promoting bad products candamage your credibility quickly.
- Theory or Argument Article – Right a persuasivearticle about a cause or an event. These are usually very opinionatedblog post. They are usually the type that get shared a lot and get manyblog comments from opposing views.
- Current Events – Give your opinion or insight on acurrent event is another great way to communicate to your audience.Also, these topics can be fairly easy to get to rank in the search engines due to the fact that they are new and do not have many competing pages.
- Marketing Posts – This is a blog post that you canuse to promote any ebooks, memberships, courses, or products that youhave developed. Instead of creating a sales page, you just blog aboutthe new product you created and then link back to that page whenever you mentioned the product in future posts.
- Personal Story – This type of the post can beextremely profitable for you. Not in a money sense, but in a readerengagement sense. For me it always gets the most comments. It allowsreaders to identify with you and see your transparency. They connectwith you on a whole new level if you can connect them to a personal story in your life.
- Round-up Post – This type of post not only can addvalue to your readers about a subject but it can connect you with otherbloggers in your niche. Basically, you write a post about a subject(like time management) and then include summaries and links of blogposts written by other bloggers about the subject.